Most people don’t know that there are certain electrical devices that you should never plug into a power strip. Why? Because some devices require more electrical current and it should not pass through the power strip, but instead be directly plugged into a GFCI outlet or regular electric outlet. Power strips can sometimes be overloaded and cause your power to “trip”.
Here is a quick list of items you should never plug into a power strip:
- Big Items: Stove, Fridge, Microwave, Sump Pump
- Don’t even plug in your Toaster, Coffee maker, or especially your Slow Cooker (those suckers suck a lot of electricity).
- Portable heaters and air conditioners should definitely be plugged in directly to an electrical outlet.
- Your hair appliances require a lot of electricity and should be plugged into a GFCI outlet.
- Another power strip! It’s called “daisy-chaining” and is so dangerous and actually is not to code. You’re taking a huge risk doing that. (Get up and go unplug them now).